Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I found the one! Gesellmann 2006 OP Eximium Cuvée No.19

For some years I have been a big fan of syrah / shiraz wines. Fell in love with them in Switzerland and have been trying to find something similar in Alko for a long time. But no results. Here in Finland Alko only sells syrah wines from the "new countries" and not feel like ordering wines from Switzerland. However, for the last  few years I haven't even bought any other red wine types than syrah.

But this weekend it happened and I think I found something even better than Swiss syrah. Gesellmann 2006 OP Eximium Cuvée No.19. From Austrian winery  Gesellman Weingut. Two of my foreign friends were living in Helsinki and moved back home in 2009. They had to leave lot's of stuff here and so... so this specific bottle happened to become mine. However, I actually thought it wouldn't be drinkable anymore but still wanted to give a shot. So as a result, it just happened that I found the one. By accident! And it is so good! And the best thing that this vintage 2006 has actually won some international wine awards!

If ideally stored, this opus eximium has a maturity between 2008 and 2018 but they don't sell it anymore! I have found only vintage 2005 and then starting from vintage 2007. I guess I have to order and try those ones. Price around 25-50 euros depending on the vintage, but quite cheap compared what it would be in Finland and in Alko. But the vintage 2006 is the one I'd like to find again. Maybe I should pay a visit to Austrian Burgenland.

Violet black colour. Slight of spiciness and vanilla or chocolate. Smell of blackberry and cherries. Freshly elegant. Amazing wine!




No comments:

Post a Comment