Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Helsinki it is!



Although I have seen a big part of this globe there is still no place than Helsinki. During the last years I have been honoured to act as a tourist guide for many of my foreign friends visiting my home town. And as a result, I have become almost a professional "tour guide". In addition, being a  tourist guide has made me see the city from a totally new perspective.  

Once in a while you should just make yourself to feel that you are tourist in your own city; take a day off, slow down the pace, look the buildings like you have never seen them before, try new cafeterias, take your time while sipping the espresso and watch the locals rushing from one place to another, pay a visit to the tourist office pretending that it is your first time here, grap your camera and take photos of your home street, see the city in a totally new light!

The fact that I'm proud of my home town makes me often to explore articles and stories about Helsinki. About Helsinki from a view of a foreigner. And after reading these articles, I often feel like taking the next plane to this mysterious city.. but luckily I can just open the door and here I am.

Here are some great Helsinki articles

"The capital of Finland is a place like no other" "Most of all, it's home to friendly and open people"

"...Finland could also do with taking ownership of cosiness as a pillar of its national identity"

Easiness, design, sea, architecture, cosiness, a city with many faces. Friendliness, summer breeze, safetyness, leaves falling down from the streets, trams... my city.

No comments:

Post a Comment